Friday, October 30, 2009

Arenas? Who needs arenas?

I really don’t know when I’ll go to see an arena show again. At least not unless I’m being paid to write about it.

That was one of my conclusions as I walked out of the Quaker Meeting House in Orchard Park Friday night. I had gone with my daughter, Abby, to see Dan Berggen, Dan Duggan and Peggy Lynn – the trio aka Jamcrackers. If you want to check out what they sound like, go to http://www.berggrenfolk.com/ and http://www.esperanceproductions.com/ and http://www.quercusmusic.com/.

It occurred to me that although I would love to see the Springsteen & the E Street Band show at HSBC Arena in November, I probably won’t put down the bucks. Part of it is that the best remaining seats seem to be nearly behind the stage and cost $81 bucks, once you figure in all the charges. You can easily spend several hundred on floor tickets if you go through some ticket brokers.

Of all of the big-time rockers, Springsteen is the one artist who would tempt me most to spend that kind of money. But, to be honest, with two kids in college and another one nearing it, I don’t have the money.

And when I go to see a show like the Jamcrackers, I don’t need to go to an arena. The trio, all acclaimed solo folies as well as Jamcrackers, are regulars in the Adirondack region. The Dans are old friends; I used to do websites for both.

Together they make music that is uplifting, funny, moving, spiritual and energetic. They engage the audience – frequently on a personal level. Their music has depth, and they’ve got some incredible skills. They’re a little like Springsteen in all those regards. Without the hundreds of feet separating you from the stage.

In fact, that’s one of the reasons they’re able to make those connections.

Seeing live music in small venues, that' can be the rule rather than the exception. In the past few months I’ve had chances to see Greg Klyma (BTW, go see him Wednesday live at Allen Hall in Buffalo – for free!) , Gurf Morlix and Grant Hart in house concerts. I’ve seen Commander Cody, Bill Kirchen and the Twangbangers and a host of others at the Sportsman’s Tavern, and Mark Norris & the Backpeddlers at WBFO live broadcast.

Arenas? Who needs arenas?

1 Comments:

Anonymous charlie gannon said...

Dan Duggan roolz teh skool. I wish I had known he was in town. Damn. I used to see him play with the Susquehanna String Band and took in a few master classes with him and the rest of the band when I was in college.

November 27, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home